Skip to main content
Jenny…867-5309…
I thought of this Tommy Tutone 1982 one hit wonder as I wrestled with the latest machinations of my mobile carrier. And, quite honestly, no blog is complete without some overt reference to 1980’s nonsensical music!

Let me get to my problem. I spend quite a bit of time on my bicycle. These rides are not just around the block to visit friends, rather they are Lance Armstrong inspired long distance events of 100 miles or more. One minor problem, I don’t have the luxury of having Johan Bruynell and the Disco team trailing me to provide food and support. Without the resources of the Team Discovery, I have to take my own food as well as communication device. This means a light weight, durable, and reliable cell phone. Easy problem to solve, right? Wrong!!!! I recently had to expand my Cingular calling plan to a family plan – even though I am the only person on the plan. So why does a family of one need a multi-number plan? Good question – here’s the problem and the solution…

When you are 50 miles or so from home and night is falling and the wind picks up and you just had your third flat tire of the day, the most important possession in the world is a working cell phone. But, in order for the cell phone to have enough importance to bring along on the ride, it has to be light weight, durable, and offer some ability to provide a connection. Nobody wants to take their Smart Phone on an athletic event and risk damage or loss. Given this scenario I thought of the perfect solution to my cell phone / cycling woes. I would buy a small, light weight, reliable practically disposable cell phone to take with me on my bicycle and leave my bulky yet feature rich Smart Phone at home. After some amount of investigation, I decided upon the 2 ounce Firefly. This meant I could leave my 5.8 ounce HP iPAQ at home.

This seemed to make perfect sense – two phones or an extension, if you will, and one number, right? Wrong!!! It seems in their infinite wisdom, the mobile carriers have deemed that only one number can be assigned per smart chip. If I wanted to have the same number on both phones, I would have to fumble around with the smart chip each time I wanted to use the less important but more durable Firefly. This did not seem logical or even remotely sensible. Again, after some amount of investigation I found it to be true. Why was I not surprised that the inflexible, rigid, and outdated business model of the mobile carriers again rendered a logical and simple problem complex and cumbersome.

In the long run, my safety on a bicycle is far more important than the illogical business model of the mobile carriers. I took the only solution I could – create a “family” plan for my Firefly and my HP iPAQ. Yes, this solution works, but I have another phone number to manage. I remember the promise of a single universal phone number for each person. That vision went by the wayside as soon as new area codes were granted.

It would be refreshing if the mobile carriers were to spend one day in the real world and modify their plans to reflect what people really do. We are in an unfortunate situation where the carriers have customers locked in to contracts and provide at best, pathetic to mediocre service. These problems all come back to not understanding the usage requirements of the customer. And, the lackluster service offered by the mobile carriers points to a massive failure of the much ballyhooed customer relationship management (CRM) systems. If the CRM systems really worked, we as a collective population would not have to be held hostage to the mobile carriers.

The huge lesson learned here is…understand use requirements before you begin anything lest you end up like the mobile carriers – that is a warning that will frighten anyone! And, realize the majority of the world does not have the resources of the Disco boys for their SAG needs!

Go Team Discovery!!! Vive le Tour de France!!!

What’s next?...what's the word?
t

Popular posts from this blog

Release Management - We Want YOUR Opinion

Releasing software, the last step to getting your software creation to your customers! Every team releases software differently, but everyone wants the release to be a success. So, regardless of how you release, how frequently you release, or how much you know about what you are releasing – we want your opinion! voke , the analyst firm focused on the edge of innovation, is conducting research on the topic of release management. We are looking for people exactly like you to share your opinion on software release management.  Please help out by letting us know what you think. The survey will take about 10 minutes to complete. Click here to share your story on release management. t

API Testing – Stop Waiting and Start Testing ASAP!

We have all heard that testers must keep pace with developers to deliver software faster. However, most testers continue to test at the UI level – which is constantly changing, so testers have to wait, and that impacts the ability to meet business demands for faster software releases. It becomes a cycle that testers have a hard time escaping. Testers want to be able to test earlier, reduce risk, and identify defects sooner – all to satisfy the customer. API testing is the perfect way to supplement traditional UI testing, keep pace with development, and deliver better quality at scale!  API testing can help you test earlier, faster, and more efficiently! And now, we have the data to show you the benefits of API testing including how much time is spent on UI testing alone, how much (or should I say little) time is spend on unit and API testing, and how much coverage is achieved.  We will be premiering the results of our recent survey on API testing in a webinar with Paraso
Your Next PC? The Personal Cloud, of Course Since the introduction of the personal computer, we all like to longingly think about what our next PC will have. Will it be lighter? Will it have better graphics? Will it be faster? And the biggest question of all, do we really need all of the latest and greatest features. All of these are questions we ponder when a new operating system is released, or when our current PC just decides to quit functioning (usually at the most inopportune of times). Well, what will your next PC be? No, it is not your next Personal Computer, it is your Personal Cloud! That’s right, the next PC you invest in may well be a Personal Cloud. The Apple iPad is just the beginning of this move from the Personal Computer to the Personal Cloud. With the iPad, Apple has hit a grand slam, scored a hattrick, a touchdown, or any other superlative sports metaphor you can conjure up. The iPad is the next step in the computing revolution. If you think Steve Jobs, the Roark of t